If you are wanting a day trip or an overnight get away, this helpful poster was shared by Fidelity National Title, giving monthly fall activity ideas, including those for kids, in the Apple Hill area between Sacramento and Placerville. They even marked them on a handy Highway 50 driving route for you to enjoy.
This area is close enough to the Bay Area that I think it’s well worth a day trip up to one of these orchards or vineyards to see the fall colors and take part in some fun activities, fruit picking or wine tasting! I know the photo is a little bit hard to read, so I have included all of the still-relevant info below.
- Oct. 20: Wreath Making & Wine Tasting at Smokey Ridge Ranch & Winery (530-903-6470)
- Oct. 28: Vampires & Vines at Fenton Herriot Vineyards (530-642-22021)
- Nov. 2: Wreath Making & Wine Tasting at Smokey Ridge Ranch & Winery (530-903-6470)
- Nov. 9: Wreath Making & Wine Tasting at Smokey Ridge Ranch & Winery (530-903-6470)
- Nov. 11: Veterans’ Day Specials for service members and veterans at participating farms
- Nov. 18: Holiday Sip & Saver at Boeger Winery (530-622-8094)
- Nov. 18-19: Bonfire, Chili & Cornbread and S’mores at Harris Family Farm (530-644-2194)
- Nov. 18-19: Bottle Your Own at Fenton Herriot Vineyards (530-642-2201)
- Nov. 24: Opening day for most Apple Hill Grower Christmas tree farms!
- Nov. 25: Bonfire and S’mores at Grandpa’s Cellar (530-644-2153)
- Nov. 24-26: Santa Visits (weather permitting) at Apple Ridge Farms (530-647-0613)
- Nov. 25-26: Dust Off the Bottle Library Wine Event at Lava Cap Winery (530-621-0175)
- Abel’s Apple Acres: Gem Mining, Sand Art, Amazing Maze
- Apple Ridge Farms: Maze, Nature Trail, Gemstone Mining, Face Painting (weekends only)
- Delfino Farms: Farm animals (Babydoll SHeep), nature trail, large grassy hill, pumpkins/gourds. Mini pumpkin decorating on weekends.
- Fudge Factory Farm: Farm Animals (Alpacas), Face Painter, Playground, Balloon Artist, Gem Mining
- Harris Famly Farm: Nature Trail, Scavenger Hung, You-Pick, Berries, Apples & Pumpkins (in-season until picked out)
- Hidden Star Camino: Kids Town Play Area
- High Hill Ranch: Face Painting, Fishing Pond, Pony Rides
- Indian Rock Tree Farm: Gold Mine, Indian Hut, Trout Stream
- Larsen Apple Barn: Museum (self-guided), Park (lawn play, picnic)
- O’Halloran’s Apple Trail Ranch: You-Pick Pumpkins off the vine, Flowers & Christmas Trees, Indian Corn, Johnny Appleseed Tree, Nature Trail
- Pine-O-Mine: You pick apples (until all picked out – call for info), Pumpkin Patch
- Rainbow Orchards: Hay Bale Hop-a-Crooked-Mile, Pumpkins, Winter Squash & Ornamental corn, Popcorn, Fresh Cider Mill, Grassy Orchard Play Area
- Smokey Ridge Farmstand: Pictures on the tractor, you pick apples & chestnuts (in season until all picked out)
- Carrot Farm: You-pick Flowers (in season)